Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Behavior Management System

I utilized a colored clip chart for behavior management in my classroom.  I used this color clip chart system to track students’ daily behavior. All of my students started the day on green and were able to move their clip up if they were making good choices. Here's what my chart looked like:



Each student had their own Behavior Report in their folder that they filled out at the end of each day.  The Behavior Report contains a smiley face for each day of the week, and students were responsible for coloring the faces with the color they ended their day on. I had the parents initial under each smiley face so that I was sure that they were aware of their child’s behavior each day. 

At the beginning of each week I collected and reviewed each child’s Behavior Report from the previous week.  For each day they ended on green or above they earned money that they could use to purchase items from the classroom store, which had items that ranged between 5¢ and 30¢. For ending their day on green they earned 1¢, blue 2¢, purple, 3¢, and pink 5¢. 

Additionally, throughout the week they could earn “Caught Being Good” cards when they displayed exceptional behavior or helped a friend.  They earned 1¢ for every card they turned in. 

Here's how I explained the consequences for not following classroom expectations to the parents:

1st Time: Verbal Reminder/Warning

2nd Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior and will be reminded that the next time I need to talk with them about their behavior they will need to move their clip down.

3rd Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior and move their clip from green to yellow.

4th Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior.

5th Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior and move their clip from yellow to orange. A Behavior Report will go home to inform you about your child’s behavior. Please discuss positive behavior choices with your child, sign the report and return it the following school day.

6th Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior.

7th Time: Your child will meet with me to discuss their behavior and move their clip from orange to red. I will call you to inform you about your child’s behavior and discuss ways to improve their behavior in the future.


-----------------------------------------------------------

One year I implemented a ticket system to help with some classroom behaviors. At the end of the day my students had to count their tickets and write the amounts on their behavior chart.

I changed the Behavior Report to include the tickets,
and sent a note home to the parents that explained the new system.

Here's an example of the ticket for "Disturbing the Peace."


This Behavior Management system is available in my Teachers pay Teachers store. 


The entire document is editable so you are able to tailor it to your classroom needs.


Click here to download the Clip Chart for FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment